Genesis 22:1-14: day by day

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

day by day

as i sat at the pew during prayer meeting today, singing this hymn, tears kept flowing down uncontrollably...not because i was sad, but because i marvelled at what a loving God i serve. The same God Who created the heavens and the earth, is the One Who cares abt my feelings. truly, God is the only One Who knows my heart so well...i didn't even have to tell Him i was tired...He knew.

this hymn has spoken to me in different ways, in different points of my life. back during poly days, when i failed a module and not realising tt i was angry at God despite saying i still thank Him for it, the last stanza hit me real hard at one youth worship service... "Help me then in every tribulation...so to trust Thy promises, O Lord, that i lose not faith's sweet consolation, offered me within Thy holy Word." only then i realised tt i've subconsciously lost tt faith's sweet consolation...and i was not trusting in God's promises in this tribulation tt i had felt was so big back then, which of cos, seems so small now as i look back at it...

today, this hymn is a reminder to me tt God's mercies are new every morning...and i ought to trust in my Father's wise bestowment (which is the amount of trouble we can bear each day). and in a book i read: with each day's measure of pain, God gives new mercies and He gives enough mercies only for tt day...we may get tired at the end of today, but we should not despair, for we've only used up the day's resources...come tmr, we will get new strength for the day itself. we don't have to bear tmr's burdens with yesterday's mercies :) and as He has promised, each day's strength will be in measure with each day's pain - no more no less.

with that, i leave you the lyrics of this wonderful hymn...

day by day and with each passing moment,
strength i find to meet my trials here;
trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
i've no cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
gives unto each day what He deems best
-
lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
mingling toil with peace and rest.

every day the Lord Himself is near me
with a special mercy for each hour;
all my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He whose name is Counsellor and Pow'r.
the protection of His child and treasure
is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"as thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,"
this the pledge to me He made.

help me then in every tribulation
so to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
that i lost not faith's sweet consolation
offered me within Thy holy Word.
help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
e'er to take, as from a father's hand,
one by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
till i reach the promised land.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home